Sunday, February 10, 2013

Distant Toddler- Baby 9


Since Bella was a single birth, there wasn't really a rush to teach her skills, so I decided on a quick stroll while the kids explored. Bella loved it, since she was squealing and giggling the whole time. 


I have no idea how, but Bella somehow got a doll. I'm guessing one of the kids bought it for her. I thought I didn't have to deal with the imaginary friend issue anymore, but I guess not. 

The only reason I end up taking it away is because she started smacking it on the floor. That may not seem a big deal, but I'm guessing the doll was secondhand, because it was falling apart. Bella didn't seem to mind when I set her in front of the blocks. 


First (somewhat) family meal in our new home. It's hard to get everyone together for dinners. I was in a rush because Bella still needed to be fed and put to bed. 


And of course, our dishwasher breaks. So much for the best dishwasher. Repairing the dishwasher is put on my mental list of things to do tomorrow. Bella is a very easy kid, so I should have plenty of time. 


For some reason, Chase fell asleep in the girl's room. Sapphire and Kayla didn't seem to mind and I didn't have the heart to wake him up. I would make sure to tell him that he would have to switch rooms. I mean, they built a girl's and boy's room for a reason!


I was already up when Bella began to cry. I quickly went to her, so see her sitting in her crib. She wasn't shaking the bars or stomping, just crying as she sat there. She didn't even smile when I picked her up. Her gaze seemed... unfocused would be the best word I think. Yes, I was glad that she wasn't like the previous kids I've had, but it just didn't seem... normal. I had to wave it off though as Bella continued to cry. She was obviously fine, why was I worrying? 


I made a big batch of pancakes for all of us before we started the day's activities. I had no plans to teach Bella anything, since single births are incredibly easy. Well, maybe I would start her with talking when I fixed the dishwasher. 


It was such a nice day, I kicked the kids outside. The kids enjoyed this, even computer-crazed Chase. He loves the outdoors, but his electronic obsession usually gets in the way. If I put a computer in the backyard, he'd be all set. Not that I ever will... 


Remembering Sofia's suggestion, I decided to buy a pet rat. I was considering the name Scabbers, (From Harry Potter), but Sapphire came up with the idea to name him Cookie. I think she mistook him for an Oreo,  but the others kids loved the name, so our rat is now named Cookie. 


Here's the scene in our backyard. I longed to teach Bella outside, but the kids weren't being very careful. Dylan, Luke and Tyler were charging around and sliding on the slip n' slide. Kayla was in another world, strumming the guitar, full of passion for music. Sapphire was in the sandbox, making sand masterpieces with her artistic flair and patience, something she definitely wasn't as a toddler. Chase was climbing up and down the play house, generally acting like an animal, complete with the beating on his chest. 


"Alright Bells." I said, pulling Bella away from the block table. "We're gonna learn how to walk."

Bella's happy face turned to utter panic as I set her on her feet. She instantly began to bawl and frantically began trying to pull away. I managed to keep her steady without my help, although she continued to bawl. 


The second I began to step away, she flopped back down and continued to cry. 

"Aw Bells, what's wrong?" I asked her, not expecting an answer. 

I continued to try, but she continued to flop back down and cry her eyes out. I had no idea if she was just being ridiculously stubborn. Eventually, I gave up and leave her be. She eventually stops crying, but doesn't move at all. I place her in front of the blocks, but doesn't do anything until I place her on her knees. Only then does she begin to play. Now I'm seriously worried. Does she have a muscle disease that prevents her from standing? I decide to make an appointment at the hospital tomorrow. Better to be safe then sorry. 


As my family chatters around me, I listen to Bella's giggles as I eat my hot dog. I'm incredibly worried about her. Her refusal to walk and move, her not shaking the bars, and her eyes... oh, her eyes. Somehow, that worries the most. I know I'm most likely worried over nothing, but I can't shake the feeling that there is something terribly wrong with my daughter. 

   
I kiss my daughter good night, and I make the mistake of looking into her blue eyes. All I see is a blank stare. No warmth, no love, nothing in eyes shows recognition that I'm her mother and I love her with all my heart and soul. It terrifies me. Bella laughed and smiled like a normal child, but she was so distant... she just seemed lost. It haunts me from the moment my eyes close to the moment I wake up. 


The next morning, I put on a small smile as Bella greeted me with her unfocused gaze. I bit my lip as I picked her up and held her close. I was trying so hard to be strong for my Bella's sake. I even put in my pink feathers in an attempt to cheer me up. No matter what I did, I knew my life would never be the same again. 

Who am I kidding? I'm a challenge mother. Of course my life isn't going to be the same. I'm going to have 100 kids. And of course there'll be drama along the way, and maybe, just maybe, I would get married. Who would marry a challenge mother, I have no idea. 

It's hard to explain. But I just knew, something big was going to happen. 


It took me a little while to realize I was in the kitchen, preparing some batter for pancakes. I guess cooking was my outlet. I just couldn't cook when something was bothering me though. It would be a huge waste of money, time, and ingredients. Maybe I should paint later on, that always seemed to soothe me. 

And of course, I don't make enough batter, so I only make a plateful. I sigh, then pick it up. Might as well eat it. I could give it to one of the kids, but I know that'll just cause a fight. 


After the kids left for school, I picked up Bella and headed to the hospital, trembling the entire time. I quickly walked inside, ready to get this over with. 

Once inside, it was a short wait. I was taken to a small room and motioned to sit down. 

"So why are you here today?" The doctor asked me. 

"Well, Bella doesn't really like to walk." I said. I quickly explained everything else, thoroughly expressing my concerns. 

The doctor listened, nodding his head. "Well, it doesn't appear anything is wrong with her, but we can do some testing if you like." 

"Please." 

After a few hours of waiting, Bella was given back to me. She seemed perfectly fine as the doctor said he would call me when the results were in.  


When I got home, I placed Bella on the floor and began talking to her. I told her about my past, my challenge, and my fears for her future. I poured my heart out into her. I don't know how much she understood, but I think I saw some understanding in her eyes before they faded back to a blank stare. 

When the twins got home, it was time to celebrate some birthdays. 


Kayla as a young adult. I was surprised to find out Kayla didn't care about missing prom. "It's just gonna be a bunch of girls with five pounds of makeup on and boys standing around, trying to look normal. I'll pass." I didn't exactly agree with her view, but I was proud that she was handling it so maturely. She plans to be a hit movie composer for some hit movies. With her musical talent, I have no doubt in my mind that she'll make it there. 


Dylan as a young adult. He was greatly relieved when he aged up so he could miss prom. "I knew Kayla was going to drag me there!" he said, earning a punch from Kayla. Dylan's silliness and Kayla's music will definitely be missed in the Falls household. 

   
Tyler as a teen. I love his sense of style, it really suits him. He loves to socialize with everyone. It doesn't take a genius to figure out he's going to be popular in high school. 


I was going to congratulate Tyler and continue where I left off his Bella, but Luke chose that moment to tell me the shower was broken. So instead of spending time with my family, I had to fix the stupid shower. Everything seems to break so easily here. Back at our old home, the only things that broke were the sink and the shower.   


By that time, it's around seven, so I pop a pre made mac and cheese meal into the microwave. It takes a while to heat up and it doesn't even taste that good. You can taste the artificial cheese and some parts are still ice, but others are burned. Ugh. 


Next morning after the kids left, a man named Icy Pop came to the door. 

"Ruby Falls correct?" he said. 

"Yep. I'm assuming you want to be a challenge father?" I said. The paperboy gave me a weird look. 

"Yeah. I'm know the rules and everything. Shall we make a baby?" 


All the talking I did with Bella must have helped her learn to talk because she was speaking in about ten minutes, although she wouldn't keep her eyes on me. I needed to chill out. The doctor said that he didn't think anything was wrong with her, but here I am, freaked out because she won't tumble around like the triplets? There must be something wrong with me if I couldn't enjoy the fact that I had a quiet child. 


I'm not sure why, but I snapped the picture when the triplets were coming home from school and I love it. They seem to be acting like the own the world and nothing can faze them. Sapphire is clearly the ringleader of this crew. When I looked at this photo, I realized Sapphire's skin tone is slightly darker then Chase's. I feel like a moron for not realizing it sooner. 


Sapphire usually finishes her homework much faster then the boys, so she has more time to paint or play in the sandbox, which annoys the other two greatly. Chase isn't a fan of being in school for 7 hours. He'd much rather be outside. Luke absolutely hates it though. He's very active and would rather be running around then sitting still. 


The only thing on my agenda the next day is to potty train Bella. And possibly take a shower. As I set Bella on the potty, I still don't see any recognition in her eyes. Just emptiness. 

"Fuzzy." Bella said. 

"What?" I responded. 

"Fuzzy." Bella repeated. "Blurry." 

I frowned, unsure if she was babbling or trying to tell me something. "What are you talking about sweetie?" I asked. 

Bella didn't respond. I sighed, then began to potty train her. Just some toddler babbling as I suspected. 


I'm about to head into the shower when I feel the first signs of life in my stomach. I rub my belly in eagerness. A new baby is definitely going to keep my mind off my woes. 


There isn't much to do after that. I feed Cookie, who doesn't seem to mind that he's being neglected most of the time. The kids mostly ignore him and to be honest, Cookie isn't very high on my list of priorities. However, he's easy to take care of, so he'll stay. Besides, it's hard not to smile when you see Cookie darting around in his cage. 


I decided to spend the next day entirely with Bella. I took her to Central Park and let her ride one of the new spring riders. I hovered right next to her, ready to catch her if she fell. I didn't need to worry though, she had an iron grip. I had a hard time prying her off the thing. 


I also got some time to catch up with Victoria, who I hadn't seen in forever. Victoria was glad to see me. I have no idea how long we talked. Bella didn't mind and ended up taking a liking to Victoria. 


I finished up the outing by reading Bella a book. She didn't really look at the book, instead choosing to snuggle with me. This was the first time Bella had ever given me any affection. It was the end to a perfect day if you ask me. 


I can't help but smile as I mix the ingredients for ratatouille. Tomorrow is Friday and I'll be able to look forward to a fun weekend with my kids for once, instead of rushing around with a new baby. I'm hoping it's another single birth, but I wouldn't mind twins. After the triplets, it feels like I can handle anything. 


Friday is the last day of my pregnancy. What better way to start it off then a delicious new recipe... french toast! 


I'm in the middle of putting the leftovers away when the baby decides to come into the world. Luckily the kids have already left for school, so there's no panic crowd. I quickly go up the stairs, the pain increasing with every step. Oh, the joys of a two story house. 


And of course, someone chooses to call me. I ignore them, but my phone continues to ring. Geez, talk about persistence. 


About two hours later, I welcome Duncan Falls into the world. 


My phone is still ringing, so I finally hit the Talk button. 

"Hello?" I said, annoyance in my voice. 

"Ms. Falls?" a male voice says. "Sorry if this is a bad time-" 

I recognize the voice right away. It's the doctor. 

"Oh it's fine. Have the tests come in?" 

"Oh yes... well..." 

"What's the result?" I ask. 

"There's no easy way to say this Ms. Falls, but..." he sighed. 

"Your daughter is blind."  

No comments:

Post a Comment