Sunday, January 27, 2013

At The Starting Line- Baby One


Those first few nights were spent on benches in Central Park until I had saved up enough to buy a house. I had enough left over to modify the house as well if I wished. 

Closing my eyes, I pictured the future mom wanted me to have. A handsome husband, a beautiful home, and 3 adorable children. I saw them in the kitchen, talking to each other as I made dinner.

Then I saw some unpleasant scenes. The husband and I fighting, the children becoming distant, and all of us coming out of City Hall, the children crying and the husband and I glaring at each other in anger. 

Then I pictured the future I would have as a challenge mom. I saw me teaching toddlers to walk and talk, helping my teens with their homework, and snuggling a new baby. 

At first, I had considered it, but when my mom fought with me a few nights ago, that gave me me encouragement I needed. 

First up, modifications. 


House before.


House after.


Soon, all you could hear in the house was the cracking of eggs and milk being poured. I had no idea that I was such a natural at cooking. Maybe I could have fed all of us instead of eating canned soup every night. 

As I was cleaning up, a man came to the door. When I opened it, he said he was here about the challenge. I invited him in.


"How'd you know about my challenge?" I asked him when we went inside.

"Your ad in the paper!" he said. "Is that a trick question?"

"No. I was just wondering." I said. Ad in the paper? I decided to check it after he left. 

"Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Chris Uran, a musical producer."

"Oh cool!" I said. "I bet you've produced a ton of great songs." 

"Yeah, about that..." he said. "My job starts in an hour. Can we get started?"

"Oh sure!" I replied. "My room?"

"Lead the way ma'am." he said. 


We tried multiple times, but I never heard the lullaby. "Maybe tomorrow?" I asked. 

"Sure." he said. 


I hopped in the shower and tried to wash my worries away. Was something wrong with me? Why couldn't we conceive?


In the middle of the night, I woke up to a symptom all challenge mothers know all too well... vomit. I guess I was pregnant after all. I mentally scolded myself for not listening for the lullaby and hopped back into bed. 


The next morning, I ate breakfast and headed out into town to get groceries for my future family.


After that, I headed to my neighbor's house. It'll be nice to have some friends here. 


A woman came out and introduced herself as Victoria Kayruz and invited me inside. She explained that her housemate, Ivy Soran was out at the moment, but I was welcome to stay and chat. 


And I did. We talked for a good few hours before...


My bump made itself known. I'm really hoping this is a single birth because I don't think I can handle multiples right now, being new to this whole thing. 


I had to run outside and throw up though, which I found kind of weird. 


Soon after that, Ivy came back. I quickly introduced myself and started up a conversation. 


Eventually, my stomach began to growl. I told them both goodbye and headed up to make some dinner. 


As the last bubbles in the sink slipped down the drain, I dialed my sister's number. The phone rang a few times before she answered.

"Hey Fi!" I said. 

"Hey Ru" she said. 

"How's life going in the asylum?" I asked her. 

"It's okay. She's actually a lot more pleasant since you left. So basically instead of being a crazed rhino, she's a lion." 

"That's a first." I said laughing. 

"Hey, can I come over tomorrow? Chris told me he came over yesterday."

"You know Chris?" I asked.

"Yeah. He was in my science class during senior year. I just showed him the ad I put in the paper and he raced off to your house."

"The ad you put in the paper?" I started laughing. "I should have known it was you! How'd you get my address anyway?"

"You texted me it the night before you moved in." Sofia said. 

"Oh. Anyway, sure, you can come over!"

"Great!" Sofia said cheerfully. "I'll be over tomorrow." 

***


"Hey Fi!" I said brightly as she walked up to my house.

"Hey Ru! Long time no see." she said. 

I laughed. "It's been a week."

"That's far too long." Sofia said.

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever you say Fi."

She punched me lightly in the arm. "How's my niece or nephew doing?" she asked. 

"Great!" I said. "Wanna feel?"


Sofia bent over and began to feel my rapidly growing belly. "For your sake, I hope there's just one in there." Sofia said. "I've heard triplets are really tough." 

"Agreed." I said. 

"Have you decided on a home or hospital birth?" Sofia asked.

"I'm thinking about a home one." I said. 

Sofia looked at me, eyes wide. "But this is your first time! What if something goes wrong?" 

"Then I'll head to the hospital." I said. "I really don't need rumors flying around right now." 

Sofia nodded. "Anyway, what's your place like?" 

I smiled. "C'mon, I'll show you." 


Somehow, we ended up on the seesaw. We acted like little kids, giggling and shrieking as we went up and down. I hadn't realized how much I had missed her these past few days. I was glad our mother was leaving her alone, it removed some of my guilt. My back was hurting like crazy, but I ignored it. I just focused on spending time with my sister.


All too soon, it was time for her to leave. I really hope we can hang out in the next few days. 


Thursday was spent purely relaxing. I took a nice long bath...


And painted...


And went into labor. 


I quickly moved into my room. I couldn't believe how much pain I was in. 
But it was all worth it in the end.


Welcoming...

Jason Falls


No comments:

Post a Comment